CIJ, continuous inkjet, technology was a concept way back in the 1950s. It wasn’t until the 1970s that inkjet printers were introduced. Since that time, CIJ technology exponentially evolved, making the standard and the best-selling coding technology on the market. Continuous Inkjet is still the most chosen coding option across several industries.
It’s amazing that what might be considered antiquated has continually evolved and kept up with the growing age of technology over the years. CIJ isn’t just continuous printing technology, but a printing technology that continuously evolves.
It’s a good thing that this industrial inkjet technology continually adapts because with the increase in the demand for traceability for various products across industries, that need must be met with high-quality printing on a huge range of products.
CIJ is a Standard
CIJ is on top of the coding options for several reasons:
- Low cost – Continuous inkjet printing saves ink and uses it carefully to ensure the most prints can be produced with a given volume of ink and any additives needed. CIJ is especially suitable for industries and products that require high volume printing. It offers the lowest cost for the maximum prints, while ensuring high-quality printing.
- Substrate versatility – The versatility of CIJ printing means it can be used on almost any material. CIJ ink manufacturers research, create, and manufacture inks suitable for CIJ printers that are compatible with a wide variety of materials and processes. There aren’t many substrates where CIJ printing cannot be used. Even materials that are curved, flat, folded, or oddly shaped can be printed on using the non-contact process of continuous inkjet printing.
- Ink Versatility – The versatility of continuous inkjet printing extends to the variety of inks it is capable of using for different types of coding and printing, which is crucial to the standard set for being viable from the time of imprinting through the product’s lifecycle.
- Easy to use – Not only are CIJ printers easy to use, they are also easy to setup and to maintain. It takes only a little training to help workers learn to use this technology. Very little user interaction is required in this printing technology.
- Print quality – The printing quality of CIJ allows printers to enhance the quality of coding and packaging for customers. This is important because barcodes and other coding types must be readable and verifiable according to industry standards.
- Durability – Continuous inkjet systems are capable of enduring harsh environments. Low temperatures and dust are two things that CIJ printers often face in their work settings. Its durability means it will function in virtually any factory environment, providing high-quality, high-grade coding on the production line.
- Barcoding – Besides high-quality printing, CIJ printers excel at barcoding. Barcodes are used to trace and/or market products, which are standards in this industry, making proper barcoding essential.
- Date and lot coding is essential – No matter what industry you work in, nearly all products require a form of lot coding or date coding. You don’t see many, if any, products without some type of coding.
- Fast-drying – Because continuous inkjet printers can be used with so many different types of inks, solvents, and additives, it provides a fast-drying, color-fast, and ideal adherence to a variety of substrates. Why is the drying time so important? When printing along high-speed production lines, fast-drying inks prevent smearing, smudging, and bleeding.
Since the goal of any factory with a production line is to keep that line moving, CIJ is truly a continuous printing solution. It’s continuously evolving and improving with new technology, it continuously moves along production lines (even those considered high speed production lines), and it continuously prints and recycles ink.
When choosing your industrial inkjet inks, make sure you’re getting the highest quality inks that will reduce the need for printhead maintenance. Quality inkjet inks also leave little to no residue, sediment, or sludge behind to clean up.
Essentially, the takeaway from this information is that CIJ printers provide the most effective and efficient process for products across virtually every industry. It makes sense that it’s still the best-selling industrial inkjet technology used today. Before you choose your ideal coding technology for your factory environment, it’s important to know and understand the usefulness of CIJ.